gtag('config', 'UA-134208160-2'); Your SEO optimized title page contents

AfricanVoice Global

Always There When it Counts

News

9 South Sudanese killed in airstrike in Libya


At least nine South Sudanese migrants were among the victims of the airstrike that hit a migrant detention center in Libya, several migrants confirmed.

Madit Gatuong, a South Sudanese migrant, told Radio Tamazuj from Tripoli on Friday that nine South Sudanese nationals were killed in the airstrike that hit the migrant centre in Tajoura, a coastal town east of the capital Tripoli.

 “Nine South Sudanese died in the shelling. The incident took place shortly after I escaped from the detention centre in Tajoura,” he said.

Madit identified the victims as Deng Nyor, Simon Wani, Jal Peter, Juma, Tap, Yasir, James Deng, Manet Osman and Emmanuel Bol.

He further said nearly 200 South Sudanese nationals are currently living in Tripoli, where conflict has been ongoing since the Libyan National Army led by Gen. Khalifa Haftar carried out attacks on the Libyan capital in April.

The migrant revealed that many of them were detained by the Libyan coast guards, supported by the European Union.

Meanwhile Juma John, who survived last week’s attacks, confirmed several South Sudanese migrants were killed in the airstrike. “I managed to flee after the airstrike,” he said.

John further said their situation in Libya is worsening.

South Sudan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs has not issued any statement on the matter.

At least 53 people were reported killed and more than 130 others injured when an airstrike hit the Tajoura refugee camp and detention center for mainly African migrants on July 3.

The UN Security Council called on Libya’s warring parties to urgently de-escalate fighting and commit to a cease-fire, and it condemned the deadly attack on a migrant detention center.

Libya is one of the main departure points for African migrants who want to reach Italy by boat. Radio Tamazuj

Your SEO optimized title page contents