gtag('config', 'UA-134208160-2'); Your SEO optimized title page contents

Zimbabwe: Mnangagwa launches US$614 million Cyclone Idai humanitarian plea


Steven Mahwai

HARARE – Zimbabwe’s President Emmerson Mnangagwa this week launched a US$614 million appeal to deal with effect of Cyclone Idai, which has left 16,000 families in dire need for humanitarian assistance.

Briefing journalists after a cabinet meeting Tuesday, Information minister Monica Mutsvangwa said the appeal was aimed at infrastructural development, provision of school and food aid.

“Priority continues to be accorded to the repair or construction of damaged roads and bridges, schools infrastructure, provision of housing, water, health infrastructure and large scale psycho-social support,” said Mrs Mutsvangwa

According to the appeal document, food security and nutrition required, %292 million, water and sanitation, required $51 million while the health sector required $ 5.1 million.

“This climatic disaster has impacted on an already stressed economy as a result of two decades of sanctions and isolation from the international community,” read the appeal document signed by Mnangagwa.

“This appeal targets support to 16 500 households, each with an average of six members. Of this, the gender ratio is 52%-48% in favour of women and girl children. The appeal envisages all round support for these households from April 2019 to May 2020 when the next harvest falls due. Requirements and costs related to building livelihoods and infrastructure are added to this,” reads the document.

The budget, according to the document, would help in the continued search for missing people who have since been declared dead by cabinet.

“Over and above the 5.3 million Zimbabweans already in need of humanitarian assistance as a result of drought, cyclone Idai added an estimated 100 000 people drawn from Chimanimani, Chipinge, Buhera, Bikita, Gutu, Zaka Chikomba Wedza and Chirumanzu districts,” the appeal report reads.

“Food and nutrition interventions will prioritise the under-fives, school going children, pregnant and lactating women, the aged and people with chronic ailments.”

“The total water Sanitation and hygiene (wash) requirement amounts to US $51 million. The emergency requirement for tents, schools, health facilities, non-food items and other social amenities amount to US $75 million. Health service provision will cost US $5.1 million,” the document reads.

So far 344 people have been confirmed dead but at least 150 are believed to have been burried in Mozambique.

Cabinet recently dispatched a team of pathologists to Mozambique to conduct DNA test on 150 people buried across the border after being swept away by floods of Cyclone Idai so that they could be identified by their relatives.

Your SEO optimized title page contents